Timeline and the airfield today
RAF Fiskerton HOME PAGE

About this site.

Location and Layout.

Timeline and the airfield today

Squadrons at Fiskerton,1943 to 45.

The Avro Lancaster

Bomber Command Form 10/ Lancaster Pilots Notes

A Typical Raid.

Images Page1, Main airfield.

Images Page 2, Main Airfield.

Images page 3, Main airfield.

Image Page Dispersed sites,

Wartime Images, page 1

Wartime images, page 2

Wartime Images,page 3.

Wartime Images page 4

Misc. images.Page 1.

Misc images, Page 2

Misc Images Page 3

576 Sqn Lancaster PD 309 recovery

150 Squadron R.A.F.

GROUP CAPTAIN TERENCE JOHN ARBUTHNOT

576 Sqn Wing/Cmdr Basil Arthur Templeman-Rooke

576 Sqn Flt/Lt Leslie Brown

576 Sqn. Flt/Sgt Eddie Wise

49 sqn Flt/Lt Charles Dunnet

49 Sqn Fred Cooper.

576 Sqn F/O William Carland Johnston

49 Sqn Flt/Lt Victor Medway Arnold

576 Sqn Flt/Lt Charles Roach

 49 Sqn Sgt. E.B.(Ted) Cachart.

49 Sqn Sgt Douglas D.R. Dalaway

576 Sqn Flt/Lt Bertram W. Roberts

576 Sqn Flt/Sgt Johnny Musgrave

576 Sqn Flying Officer Edward L Saslove

49 Sqn Pilot Officer Edgar R. G. Haines D.F.M.

576 Sqn Flt/Lt Herbert Benson

576 Sqn Flying Officer Frank Wilson

576 Sqn Flt/Sgt Dennis Ovenden

576 Sqn Flt/Sgt Danny Ranchuk

576 Sqn Flt/Sgt Ken Tamkin.

49 Sqn Flying Officer Alexander V Bone

576 Sqn Sgt Stanley Lloyd

576 Sqn Warrant Officer Frederick Taylor, DFM

576 Sqn Warrant Officer Reg Croot

49 Sqn. S/L J.E Raw-Rees D.F.C.

576 Sqn Sgt Alfred Thorpe Turton

 576 Sqn Warrant Officer Eugene Patrick (Jimmy) Collins

576 Sqn. F/O R Bastick & Crew

576 Sqn. Sgt. George Lynn.

576 Sqn Airman Ron Kent

576 Sqn. Sgt. D.Girling.

576 Sqn F/O A.J.L Ridge

576 Sqn F/O Archibald de Largy Greig

Contact & links to similar sites, page 1

 Links to similar sites, page 2.

MEMORIAL PAGE

TIMELINE.

1942 Built to Class 'A' standard design.

1943 Jan. 49 Squadron operating Lancasters for No 5 group arrives.

1944. Sep. Flying ops transferred to Dunholme to allow runway repairs. Fog dispersal system installed.(FIDO)

1944, Oct. 49 Squadron departs,

1944, Oct 576 Squadron operating Lancasters  for No 1 group arrives.

1944, Oct. 150 Squadron operating Lancasters arrives, staying for three-weeks only.

1945, Sep. 576 Squadron disbands with hostilities over, airfield closed for flying.

1962. Royal Observer Corp H/Q opens.

1988. Oil production begins.

1992. Royal Observer Corp H/Q closed.

1995. memorial to 49 & 576 squadrons erected.

2009, Oil exploration commences on different area of airfield.

2010. Section of peri-track relaid in preparation of the possible building of a compost factory on the airfield.

 

 

 

 

The Airfield Today.

Immediately after the war, due to  an acute shortage, the accommodation sites at Fiskerton were used as temporary housing up until 1954. The four sites on the Bardney road were called: The Cresent; Ferryside; Woodlands & Longwood. The four on the accommodation access road were named: Hallfields; Fenlands; Moorlands & Birchill. The Sergents'mess on Site 3 was used as the village school up until 1970.

Today, the airfield is used for a variety of purposes. Arable and poultry farming on the main site. Oil was discovered under the airfield in 1977 and production with two pumps began a year later. These are situated next to the south-eastern peri-track at the end of the old Technical site. All the buildings have been demolished on the main site including the tower and hanger.  A narrow section of the main runway remains and is used for access to the poultry farm. Some sections of the subsiduary runways are still intact and are still the original width but other sections have been removed to prevent joy-riding/racing. Some of the original landing light holders still litter the runway. Large sections of peri-track are still there and are used for access to the oilfield. A couple of dispersal points are still there in the old 'A' flight area. The disused Royal Observer Corp H/Q  is located in the old 'A' flight area. Part of the old ops block still stands and is used for stabling.West of the road  little remains save for a narrow section of runway, a section of peri-track and a dispersal point. Of the side of the airfield west of the road,a narrow section of runway remains,some section of peri-track and a dispersal.  The airfield is popular with walkers, cyclists, runners and dog exercisers and several public footpaths cross the airfield. One of these footpaths follows the peri-track adjacent to the old Technical site and walking down the track at twilight on a peaceful summer's evening, it is hard to imagine the activity that would have been taking place all those years ago during  W.W.2.

Of the dispersed sites, the gymnasium,building 206 on site 4 is visible from the road. On site 9 the base of the sick bay,building 328 is still there and is used for storing straw bales. Site 3 is privately owned and several buildings have survived the years. These are used  by small businesses and personel use by the site owner. Among them are the officers'mess and the Sergeants' messes,buildings 176 and 176, a power house and  several other buildings which have been preserved and utilised by the gentleman owner who  very kindly allowed me to photograph the site and showed me around.The site is very pleasent with  landscaped areas and an orchard. Over the years many former occupants of the site have been back to re-visit and the owner has a visitors' book for them to sign. Another part  of site 3, building number 178 is occupied by the Tanya Wool factory. Of the other dispersed sites, small copices mark the locations and nothing remains save for a few buildings and some concrete bases of what would have been a hive of activity all those years ago.

In total, the airfield had, during its operational life, over 400 buildings including 275 on the dispersed sites. Ranging from hangers to living quarters. Briefing rooms to dininghalls and messes. Now, only a handful remain of what would have been a self-contained community and was home to almost 2,000 persons. Inevitably, empty buildings  attract unwarranted attention or become dangerous to enter and therefore it was necessary to demolished them because of these reasons.

UPDATE TO ABOVE: October 2006, the Lincolnshire Echo has announced that the Tanya Wool factory which has occupied the former Dining Hall on site 3, building No. 178 since 1946, is in financial difficulties and unless a buyer can be found, may have to cease trading and close.

2009: Factory finally demolished.

October 2010. Plans submitted for the building of a compost-making facility.

The Future?

As the remaining sections of peri-track and runways are used for access these hopefully should survive for many years to come. Of the remaining buildings on site three, we can only hope the builders do not move in. These buildings are the only substancial ones remaining and it would be a pity to see them go.

SUMMER 2009.